Thursday, December 7, 2017

Great Online Cookie Exchange Extravaganza

Thanks again to Jz.  

I was such a good girl last year with an actual cookie recipe.  Not so much this year...  This year's recipe isn't cookies, and isn't really even a recipe.   

I make these for occasions that I need to be able to bring or serve something a bit fancy, but gluten free.  This is more a conceptual outline than a recipe.  Change the flavors altogether by changing the spices you toast the sweet potato in, and add different toppings to match.  


Sweet Potato Appetizers

Sweet potato slices ~ ¼” thick, diameter your choice
      Coat lightly with olive oil and ground cumin – easiest way is to toss them all together gently in a
       container. 
             * can also add some kosher salt
             * or use whatever other spices you would like instead of cumin - e.g., paprika, cayenne, 
                    cinnamon, cardamom, clove  
     Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet 
     Bake at 350 until cooked through and beginning to brown - turn if one side is browning and the 
         other is not or if one side is burning

Roasted red pepper
      Halve and remove seeds and ribs, place skin side up on an old cookie sheet, 
      Roast under broiler until blackened
      Place into a paper or zip-lock plastic bag and wrap in towels until mostly cooled
      Remove skins
      Slice into bite size pieces

Goat cheese or another semi-soft cheese you like
Chopped chives
Balsamic vinegar

Assemble by placing a few pieces of red pepper then a spoonful of goat cheese then some chives on top of each slice of sweet potato.  Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.



And here are all the other wonderful Great Online Cookie Exchangers...

selkie (recipe here)

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nutritious and delicious option - love that it's both gluten free and vegetarian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. We have so many friends and family members who cannot have gluten. I am always hunting for new ideas. This would be great to have as munchies before the dinner is ready.

    Merry Christmas,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's a super fancy but not too hard to make option. Awesome. And nice to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound like really great hors d'oeuvres, appetizers. Love that they GF and vegetarian. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tasked with making GF things weekly--I feel kinda dumb I never considered sweet potatoes!!! Simply brilliant.
    Thanks for this one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is definitely one I would like to try out! Sweet potatoes are one of our family favorites!
    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
  7. love sweet potatoes...something definitely to try...thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love sweet potatoes and this is a wonderful idea with the different variations. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that we're going conceptual!
    (I feel like I might finally be joining the 21st century. ;-p)

    These sound amazing.
    Particularly as I'm one of those people who can easily be led by the nose, if you dangle some form of sweet potato dish in front of me. ;-D

    Thanks for hangin' in with me, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made sweet potato frenchfries with cumin... I know I will like these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greengirl these sound amazing and being gluten free you are on a winner with me. Yum! Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Dixie Wrecked, I make sp fries with cumin too! I'll make these for the party I have next weekend. Thank you for sharing GG.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Greengirl, :) Love the sound of these sweet potatoes. So neat to have something different to think about for an appetizer! Thank you for sharing. Sorry to be so tardy. Happy Holidays! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum greengirl they sound so good and I'm happy to see something gluten free.
    Merry Christmas
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, Greeengirl, It's so good to see you here, even if it's only once a year! I bet these are lovely. Hope you have a lovely holiday - and a great year if I don't see you again til the 10th Annual, right?

    <3

    ReplyDelete