Saturday, December 11, 2010

yes ...but

Someone suggested to me some time ago that eliminating a certain phrase from my vocabulary may be a helpful thing to the peace and harmony of my marriage, and would maybe be more a appropriate way of speaking, you know, as a submissive and all...  Interestingly, it wasn't a suggestion to cut out "no."  That isn't actually a big thing for me - for whatever reason- I just never said no to him a lot, well, except in one area, and that is solved now. 

Could I at least try to reduce the "no's" from my responses to him even further - of course i could,,,,,,but, then.....

Could I try to go along with my husband without disagreeing or naysaying - yes, i think i can,,,,,,,,but, what if.....

Wouldn't it be more appropriate if i would learn to be more agreeable, to go along more easily, to submit more graciously - sure it would,,,,,,,but, really don't you think.......

So - guess what phrase needed to go????

I have worked on this.  However you word it - but, except, although, however, on the other hand - it is an argument and is not at all the same as saying yes.  It is sometimes just a backhanded way of saying no.  And I had been - I am - very good at it.  Consciously stopping myself at the point of arguing has indeed changed the way i respond to him.  I'm not sure he has noticed specifically that i have changed this speech pattern, but i do think he has noticed that I am (at least marginally) more agreeable, and less argumentative, and more - well - in this case - submissive. 

6 comments:

  1. Greengirl,

    Great post! I will to give this some thought and notice how often I do this.

    Hugs,
    Serenity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - and I have a (maybe) helpful suggestion. Um not that you asked for suggestions... but I can't resist.

    Try changing your "but" to "and." So you'd say - for example - "Yes, I can try harder AND it's really hard." "Yes, I think can submit more graciously, and what if I end up... (or) and I'm worried that... whatever."

    Ok, now that I've said it, maybe it doesn't make it different - but I practice doing it most of the time so that things aren't dichotomous and conflictual. It feels different to me.

    And in any case, neat post. Thanks.

    aisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, gg. i think aisha is onto something.

    Padrone wants to hear when i have a legitimate problem with obedience, or even something to input into a conversation or a decision for him to make. If i do so in a... resistant way, then of course it is not as effective as when it is said without sounding resistant.

    Padrone has always told me that i am free to say anything to him as long as it is said respectfully. That one word is what triggered my own journey into thinking how i phrased things, because it isn't the things we say, oftentimes, it is how we say them, that cause the most problems in a relationship.

    i'm loving reading your thoughts, gg. i love how you're allowing D/s into your relationship!

    *hugs*
    schiava

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serenity,
    thanks. I certainly don't want to imply i no longer argue - but it takes more thinking - so i can more often slow myself down enough to be more reasoned about it. adn i still have my just plain not-so-pleasant times too.

    Aisha,
    I hadn't thought about the inherent contraditions aspect of it. I like the word conflictual. It does describe maybe the expressing my concerns vs. just arguing.

    Schiava,
    I think that's in exactly - that i express myself not in a resistant way. I never doubt that he wants to hear my thoughts or what is going on in my head, as long as i can actually express that. I'm still learning. And thanks - i appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "but"

    Using this word carefully has to do with power and influence.

    In a vanilla context I too was advised to substitute "and".

    It stopped those who expected to be in power in this situation feeling antagonised - so ultimately giving me more influence.

    "and" implies acquiescence whereas "but" implies conflict - though of course after each word one can say exactly the same thing.

    But ...

    ;)

    xPx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pygar,
    I am seeing the point about "and" vs. "but". Less antogonistic is good. Honest communication of thoughts and wishes is good. I don't believe I should acquiesce automatically to everything - I do believe I should stop myself from reacting negatively or in a backhanded way - which i think "but" probably does in many cases. I wonder if using "and" instead is fundamentally different, or is it a word game or manipulation that belongs in some settings more than it does here. Thank you for the added context.

    ReplyDelete